Monday, October 21, 2013

A Day With Sleds Dogs Talking Structure and Function

On October 5-6 I was invited to speak at the Annual Northern New England Sled Dog Trade Show in New Hampshire.  What an experience!  The fairgrounds was filled with teams of barking, howling, enthusiastic sled dogs and their owners/mushers all camping or just visiting for the days events.   It was an honor to be there presenting along with some of the greats in the sled dog world.  Aliy Zirkle and her husband Allen Moore winners of the Yukon Quest and successful participants in the Iditarod.  I really enjoyed listening to their talks.  Mushers really know every nuance of their dogs.  They have to. Most mushers personally take care of every aspect of their dogs lives and health care - on and off the race course.  Here is the link to read about the event and the speakers.

www.sleddogtradefair.org

By the way, I presented with Christine Richardson.  She is a musher from NH and who I am very grateful to have gotten my boy Spike.  Christine took the anatomy and movement I talked about and applied it to proper harness fitting so the dogs can be comfortable and move efficiently as they run for up to 1000 miles in any given race.

A few days following the event,  I was contacted by a woman who had attended my talk.  She mentioned that someone had written a blog about it.  Wow I thought how cool.  It always blows my mind how much people appreciate what I do.  When I give a talk , I share what I have observed and learned form the animals I have had the honor to work with and on over the years. My goal is that the audience will learn something that they did not know before.  I hope that when people leave a talk that they say to themselves "Hum, I never thought about that before... or I never thought about it in that way before".   So, here is the link to the blog about the talk.

http://powershealth.com/2013/10/a-lesson-from-a-horses-derriere/


If you are interested in more info on the sled dog world and talks I have given there. Check out the 2012 Alaska Sled Dog Symposium where I was the Keynote Speaker.

http://www.sleddog.org/symposium/2012-symposium/